Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Reflections

Odette:
Monday.

Laying in my bed all hooked up and waiting to be wheeled upstairs for my very last stem cell treatment.  I've skimmed over our words of the last 4 weeks and relived some precious moments and some great laughs.  A month has zoomed by and I know Laurinda and I will take away some life-time memories with us.  I had never visited a Communist country before and didn't really know what to expect, but I admire the way the Government here ensures employment and at least the necessities of life for all.  We have not encountered any hungry or homeless.

The people of China have been absolutely lovely and gone out of their way to make us feel welcome and share a little of their culture with us.  They are so friendly and more than willing to try and converse with us or help us out.  Thats when they are not laughing at us of course...we are still cause for a lot of giggles and whispers.  The only tourists to be seen are here for the same reason...the stem cell treatment.  We have really enjoyed the locals and learning about their ways.  They are also very polite people and seem happy with their lives.

Despite the language barrier, the medical staff have made a huge effort to explain all the procedures, even showing me the vial of spinal fluid they remove from me before injecting the stem-cells so that the volume stays balanced.

Back from my Lumbar Puncture - the Director performed the procedure tonight and was extremely efficient.  The hardest part is the 6 hours flat on my back with poor Laurinda on potty duty.  So, all my beautiful new cells are inside me now and many are already doing their job.  Dr Apples examination yesterday confirmed the muscle strength in my legs is now.....wait for it...NORMAL!!  I also have muscles, 2 of them!  One in each shin.  Its been too long.  Laurinda is busy admiring her tattoo and I am busy checking my 2 muscles are not disappearing.  I am still working on ideas for home.  I need to take Owen to keep up my daily massages and therapy but he just laughed when I asked him.  I can't work out why!

No comments:

Post a Comment