Thursday, October 29, 2009

First Lumbar Puncture Stem Cells

Odette: Ooh the pressure is building- it's really the BIG day today! Stem cells via lumbar puncture. Two therapies this morning, now no more for the day so I am rested up and strong for tonight 7.30pm. The Professor came from down town Qingdao this morning and poked and prodded and discussed my case with 10 others. The translator was here but I got the general gist of things. He was much revered and they all hung off his every word. He will be returning daily to monitor my progress. I think the IV that I had was more to see if I had any side effects or negative reactions of any kind. The spinal injections are the REAL ones! I'm very excited and busy telling my mind where I want the cells to go and what they need to do. Fingers, toes, eyes and wings crossed!!

After the cell transplantation. its laying down with no head movement for 6 hours. Oh God! How am I going to make it through the day? I'm already counting the minutes. I doubt this sort of excitement is good for my blood pressure. Here is the Professor's advice:
1. Take a little exercise everyday
2. Enjoy a little rice everyday
3. Smile everyday
4. Bask in the sunshine
Sounds good to me- although the sun is a little hard to detect past the white smog.

Laurinda has gone shopping with Ann. I'm far too worked up to read or try the Internet so I shall just keep trotting up and down corridors. Ok - no more writing they have put in my IV in preparation and Laurinda is back with slippers and nail polish- I can have nice nails again yay!
...

Laurinda: The day has gone so slowly but it is 7.15pm and they have finally come to take mum upstairs for her lumbar puncture. She is so excited. Now I don't know what to do with myself. Perhaps I should do some housekeeping our room is looking a little crazy.
...
Well I didn't get much done, mum was returned safe and sound 40 minutes later. She is awake and smiling from ear to ear. She said they only took two minutes to find the right spot and inject the cells. When the doctor started pulling her shirt down she panicked and said 'what's wrong' but he said 'all finshed'. She didn't feel a thing- a very different experience from her lumbar puncture in Australia! Poor thing is laid up now flat on her back and I was so excited to tell her I found a DVD that would play for her to pass the time- Charlie's Angels but it's in bloody Chinese with Korean subtitles! Oh well we wait with bated breath for tomorrow.........

No comments:

Post a Comment